One sure way to make your salads less boring and tastier is experimenting with different dressings. A balsamic vinaigrette is a fantastic dressing option that’s easy to make and will have you jonesing for more salads, but is a balsamic vinaigrette keto?
Is a Balsamic Vinaigrette Keto?
Yes, a balsamic vinaigrette is keto-friendly. Given that most bottles of balsamic vinegar (the main ingredient of a balsamic vinaigrette) in the market are keto-friendly, we’re confident stating that most balsamic vinaigrettes will be keto-friendly, too. However, you should read the labels and look out for added sugars.
If you want to get specific about the carb count of a balsamic vinaigrette, consider that a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar usually contains about 2 to 6 grams of net carbs, with a few exceptions containing as low as 1 cram or as high as 10 grams of net carbs.
While much of the sugar from the grapes is lost during fermentation. There are several balsamic bottles of vinegar that come with artificial additives and sweeteners that aren’t keto-friendly or even overall healthy. If you want to keep the carbs count down while maintaining the sweetness traditionally associated with balsamic vinegar, you can add a keto-friendly sweetener to the recipe.
How Do You Make A Keto Balsamic Vinaigrette?
Learning a balsamic vinaigrette recipe can let enjoy more salads on a keto diet, but also control the ingredients you use so everything is keto-friendly. Don’t worry, once you’ve got the right ingredients, it’s a pretty easy and straightforward process.
Keto Balsamic Vinaigrette Ingredients
For this Keto balsamic vinaigrette recipe, you’ll use:
- 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar
- 1 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of your favorite keto-friendly sweetener
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon of fresh minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a glass or mason jar.
- Use a blender or immersion blender to process all the ingredients until you get a smooth and creamy vinaigrette.
- Make sure you cover the mason jar tightly.
- Shake the mason jar well before using it.
How Do You Store A Keto Balsamic Vinaigrette?
As mentioned in the instructions, you can use any glass jar to store your keto balsamic vinaigrette, although we recommend you use a mason jar. You can easily store it in the refrigerator for approximately ten days to two weeks.
Now, if you’re thinking of storing a balsamic vinaigrette for two weeks, consider replacing the fresh minced garlic with garlic powder instead. Otherwise, the winced garlic will give off an unsavory flavor after a couple of days in the fridge.
What Health Benefits Does a Balsamic Vinaigrette Have?
Beyond the unique, sweet, and sour flavor that makes it an ideal salad dressing or marinade, there are several, crucial healthy perks of adding a keto balsamic vinaigrette to your salads:
- Reduces bad cholesterol: Balsamic vinegar, the main ingredient in a balsamic vinaigrette, is known to attack several scavenger cells that increase LDL (low-density lipoproteins) or harmful cholesterol levels in your body. By adding enough balsamic vinegar to your daily diet, you can prolong your life considerably.
- Improves digestive health: A balsamic vinaigrette will contain probiotic bacteria that not only help preserve it but can also protect your gut. and they also protect the human gut. A daily dose of balsamic vinaigrette can give you enough probiotics to increase your digestive health and makes you feel fuller.
- Reduces blood pressure: Studies have shown that grape-based products such as balsamic vinegar are good for your heart and overall circulatory system. Research shows that consuming grapes can also lower platelet aggregation, one of the main causes of strokes and heart attacks. Just adding one or two tablespoons of balsamic vinaigrette to your meals can significantly reduce blood pressure and prolong your longevity.
How Can I Use a Balsamic Vinaigrette?
If you love to cook recipes that you can use in different meals, then you’re going to love this keto balsamic vinaigrette. These are only a few tasty ways you can use this balsamic vinaigrette but don’t feel limited to them and try to include them in other recipes, not just salads.
- Drizzle a hearty portion of balsamic vinaigrette over some grilled vegetables and enjoy a fantastic low-carb seasoning.
- You can also use this dressing over baked or grilled chicken. Cover the top of your meat with a brush and this dressing and you’ll get a tasty combination of flavors.
- Whenever you’re in a hurry, you can add this to a quick cold cuts lettuce wrap as a condiment, instead of using regular oil and vinegar.
- If you’re having some guests, you can serve this with some meat and cheese and present a fancy table to your guests in no time.
What's The Difference Between Balsamic Vinegar And Regular Vinegar?
While balsamic vinegar is traditionally made from grapes, regular, white vinegar is composed of about 5 to 10% acetic acid) and 90% to 95% water. This acetic acid is what gives white vinegar its characteristic smell and flavor.
That being said, any white vinegar produced for human consumption in America needs to be fermented using natural methods, in other words, using only bacteria.
In other parts of the world, vinegar manufacturers use French ethanol made from sugar beets. You can also make vinegar not only with grapes, but rice, and apple cider. That’s why there are so many vinegar varieties available in the market.
Are There Any Keto-Friendly Substitutes For Balsamic Vinegar?
If you run out of this balsamic vinaigrette while you’re cooking, don’t worry. You can use a mix of red wine with a keto-friendly sweetener as a substitute to use in your recipes. Granted, you can use sugar or maple syrup in a hurry, but it won’t be as healthy or keto-friendly then.
A dash of balsamic vinaigrette is good for your overall health and it’s keto-friendly. All you need to do is choose the right ingredients for your diet. With proper ingredients, balsamic vinaigrette is a tasty and healthy option for your keto diet. Now, go and enjoy the taste of balsamic vinaigrette dressing and marinades in your salads and meals.