Are you jonesing for some tacos while being on the keto diet? Once you try this keto taco salad recipe for a light, easy dinner, you’ll be able to enjoy Taco Tuesdays again and stick with a low-carb way of eating.
Make a Quick Dinner With This Keto Taco Salad Recipe
Making a keto taco salad recipe is really simple and doesn’t take too much of your time. Just make sure you assemble the ingredients in their correct quantities. Let’s go over the ingredients and a step-by-step procedure to follow when preparing this keto taco salad recipe.
When gathering your ingredients, ensure you choose keto-approved products to maintain your ketosis status. You can also adjust the quality of the ingredients depending on how much taco salad recipe you want to prepare. Here are the ingredients we are going to use in this recipe.
- Halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon of dried ranch seasoning
- 1 head chopped iceberg lettuce
- Sliced black olives
- 2 tablespoons of keto-friendly salsa
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 chopped or pitted avocado
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Freshly chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 lb ground beef
- A pinch of salt
- 2 carb balance tortillas
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- ½ cup water
Homemade Taco Seasoning Ingredients
The ground beef in this recipe must be seasoned with a keto-friendly taco seasoning. So, if you go for the store-bought one, ensure you check whether it has added starches or sugars.
However, homemade taco seasoning ensures total control over the carb count. Below are the ingredients you will need:
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
When mixed correctly in a small jar, the above ingredients result in a spicy homemade taco seasoning required in this taco salad recipe.
Homemade Keto-Friendly Salsa Ingredients
A homemade keto-friendly salsa tastes so fresh and has a high flavor profile. Below are the ingredients to prepare your salsa:
- 1 diced jalapeno
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ cup cilantro
- 15 oz canned whole peeled tomatoes
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
1 teaspoon salt
When preparing a taco salad, you will require the following tools:
- A large skillet with a lid
- Silicone baking mat for making the tortillas chips
- Pizza cutter or knife to help in slicing the tortilla chips
- Large bowl to aid in mixing in the taco salad ingredients
- Large spoon
After assembling all the ingredients and tools required in this recipe. Follow the below step-by-step procedure and make your keto taco salad:
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet to medium-high heat
- Add ground beef and cook for about 7 minutes to be crumbly and browned
- Stir in 2 teaspoons of taco seasoning and a half cup of water
- Simmer until the water evaporates or thickens to your desired saucy consistency.
- Allow it to cool slightly
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Cut your tortillas into thin strips
- Toss them with oil and sprinkle some salt
- Transfer them to a silicone baking mat and bake for 15 minutes
- Prepare the dressing by mixing ranch seasoning, the remaining taco seasoning, salsa, and sour cream.
- Add 1 tablespoon of water at a time until your desired consistency is achieved.
- Add shredded cheese, chopped iceberg lettuce, cherry tomatoes, avocado, chopped cilantro leaves, taco meat, black olives, and tortilla chips in the large bowl.
- Toss to combine well
- Top with your dressing
- You can consider serving with a lime wedge
How to Store and Use Keto Taco Salad Leftovers
It is easy to make a large amount of keto taco salad, but adjusting it to several servings can be challenging for many people. Here is how you can store keto taco salad and use it in several servings.
It is possible to store a keto taco salad in a refrigerator for 2 to 3 days. However, you will need to set aside the extras such as avocado, salsa, and sour cream as these are best when used fresh. It is also advisable to store the beef separately to reheat it separately when you want to use the salad.
When you want to use the salad, reheat the beef separately in a microwave or hot skillet before adding it to the salad. You can then add salsa, sour cream, and finally, the freshly cut avocado.
The Health Benefits of Keto Taco Salad
Apart from being keto-friendly and tasty, the ingredients used in making the keto taco salad recipe have many nutritional benefits. They include:
Helps to Prevent Prostate Cancer
Cherry tomatoes have some compounds that reduce the chances of abnormal cell growth, which can lead to cancer. Many health professionals state that an increased intake of tomatoes or tomato products minimizes the risk of getting prostate cancer specifically.
Helps to Prevent Strokes
Lycopene is an excellent compound produced by tomatoes. It helps in preventing issues such as blood clotting and inflammation.
In turn, lycopene can help reduce the chances of getting ischemic strokes which mainly result from blood clots forming in the blood vessels, limiting blood flow into the brain.
Lettuce is among the great sources of Vitamin A. It helps in maintaining eye health, preventing macular degeneration. Additionally, it minimizes a person’s risk of cataracts. Enjoy more lettuce with other keto-friendly dressings from Hungry Squirrel.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Many Carbs Does a Beef Taco Have?
In most cases, a 3-ounce beef taco contains 11.4 grams of fat, 12.6 grams of protein, 3.2 grams of net carbs, and 170 calories.
Should I Serve a Keto Taco Salad Warm or Cold?
Although serving a keto taco salad warm or cold mainly depends on personal taste and preference, it’s preferable to serve it with the beef warm and the toppings cold.
With the right equipment, ingredients, and keto taco salad recipe guide above, you can prepare a keto taco salad in around 20 minutes. You can prepare a large amount, store it in the refrigerator and use it in several servings for two to three days.